Ali Ahmady, MSc, PhD, HCLD
MacDonald Fertility & IVF Program
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
University Hospitals Case Medical Center
11100 Euclid Avenue, Mac 5034
Cleveland, OH 44106
Phone: (216) 844-3317
1988 - BSc (Cellular and Molecular Biology), Tehran University, Iran
1995 - MSc (Reproductive Biology), National University of Singapore, Singapore
1998 - PhD (Reproductive Biology), National University of Singapore, Singapore
1998-2000 - Research Fellow, National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore
1998-2000 - Lecturer for Master of Clinical Embryology, National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore
Professional Experience and Appointments:
2009 – present
IVF/Andrology Lab Director, University Hospital Case Medical Center
2006 - 2009
Lab Director, University Fertility Center, Torrance, CA
2006 - 2009
Scientific Director, Center for Reproductive Health & Gynaecology, Beverly Hills, CA
2001 - 2006
Lab Director, Astra Fertility Group (formerly NUStar Fertility Centre), Ontario
2000 - 2001
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Samuel Lunenfield Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto
Graduate Student, National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore
Lab Director and Chief Embryologist, Yazd Medical University, Human Reproduction Centre, Iran
- Visiting Scientist, LA Biomedical Research Institute, California
- College of American Pathologist (CAP) Team leader Inspection
- Consultant and Research Collaborator to the Cleveland Clinic Training Course, Ohio
- Reviewer for Journal of Andrology, Fertility and Sterility
- External Examiner for PhD thesis, Manipal University, Karnataka, India, 1999
- Produced live-birth from ICSI-derived embryos in the mouse. This is the first report of live-birth following mouse ICSI (Human Reprod., 1995; 10: 431-435).
- Developed hamster-ICSI assay as a test for fertilizing ability of severe male factor sperm prior to clinical ICSI (J. Ass. Reprod., 1996; 13: 647-651).
- Developed Single Sperm Curling (SSC) test for selection of viable sperm in ICSI procedure (Fertil Steril., 1997; 68:346-350).
- Produced live-birth from injection of dead sperm (at the various stage of cell death) in the mouse. This is the first systematic study in fertilising ability of dead sperm (Human Reprod, 1999; 14: 2279-2285; Human Reprod, 1997; 12: 2797-2801; J. Exp. Zool., 1999 ,284:696-704)
- Afifiyan N. and Ahmady. A.: Specialized carrier system, V-Kim. Patent #US D583,066 S; 2008.
- Ahmady A. and Afifiyan N.: Specialized carrier system, V-Don. Patent #US D583,962 S; 2008.
- Ahmady A. and Afifiyan N.: Vitrification system for cryopreservation of mammalian cells including human dividing embryos, blastocyst, oocyte, and sperm. Patent Pending, filed 2007.
Honors and Awards:
- HCLD (High Complexity Lab Director), ABB, USA 2004
- Certificate of Qualification as Lab director in Andrology and Endocrinology from New York State Department of Health, 2005
- Second prize of the first Royan International Infertility Research Award, Tehran, Iran, September, 2000
- Authorized by Ministry of Health, Singapore, to perform laboratory procedures in IVF and other Assisted Reproduction Technologies (ART) in Singapore, January 1996 - December, 1999